Discover the advantages of getting your teeth examined by a qualified dentist at Swang Dental Care in Nashville, Tennessee. We can help you keep your teeth healthier by checking for any signs of tooth decay or gum disease. It's much easier to treat a problem when it is small, and it will save you money in the long run. Find out more about routine dental examinations and what to expect when you come in for your dental checkup appointment.
What is a Dental Exam?
Getting a dental examination is an important aspect of preventive dental care. Not all tooth and gum issues are noticeable, which means you probably won't know about a cavity until it has become a problem. Detecting dental problems early on is key to maintaining a healthy mouth. When the dentist examines your mouth and spots the beginnings of a problem, you can get it taken care of right away, preventing extensive, costly dental restorations. We also hope to avoid future issues by educating you on proper home care of your teeth and gums.
We typically recommend patients to come in for a dental checkup every six months, at the same time as your routine dental cleaning. The dental cleaning and the dental exam are not the same things, but we perform them during the same appointment for your convenience. You should also schedule a dental exam if you are experiencing any problems inside your mouth.
A routine dental exam allows you to stay on top of your dental health. Our dentists and hygienists are committed to keeping your mouth as healthy and attractive as possible. We offer exceptional dental care, building relationships with each patient, so we can continue to improve your dental health throughout your life.
What Is Included in a Routine Dental Examination?
When you come in for your regular dental checkup, we follow this procedure:
- We may take dental x-rays to help the dentist diagnose problems and conditions that are not easily visible from inside the mouth.
- The hygienist will check the gums around the teeth to look for gum disease.
- The dentist then checks your teeth, soft tissues, and joints carefully, looking closely at the x-rays and the inside of your mouth. This examination looks for signs of disease, decay, and tooth fractures. If you have noticed changes in your mouth, this is the time to let the dentist know to examine the symptoms and search for a cause.
- We also perform a simple oral cancer screening, which checks for suspicious areas in the soft tissues of your mouth. If the dentist notices anything that could signify oral cancer, we will likely refer you to a specialist.
- If the evaluation reveals a dental problem, the dentist will present you with a diagnosis and treatment plan. We will discuss the project with you, educating you on your options.
How Long Does a Dental Exam Take?
Most of the time, a dental exam only takes 10 minutes. If you have a professional cleaning in the same appointment, you can expect the entire appointment to take about an hour.
Dental Exam Cost
Your dental insurance plan will probably cover all or part of the cost of your routine dental examination. You may give us a call for specific pricing information.
Why Should You Come to Swang Dental Care for a Dental Checkup?
Swang Dental Care offers complete dental care for the entire family. When you get a checkup at our office, we will take the time to educate you about your teeth, how to care for them at home, and what treatments are available for any problems you might have. Our goal is to maintain your healthy smile so that you can lead a healthier, more confident life.
Request your dental checkup appointment online, or give us a call today. We look forward to hearing from you.