Swang Dental Care is your family dentist in Nashville, Tennessee. We welcome children of all ages, and we do everything we can to show the children and their parents that we care about them. We offer a full range of services to children, from professional cleanings to fillings. Keep reading to learn more about the children's dentistry at Swang Dental Care.
What is Children's Dentistry?
Parents often ask us when kids should start seeing the dentist. There are two answers to this question. We usually like to see a child at about age three. If they come to the dentist's office with their parent before the age of three, it helps them understand what we do and reduces some fear. The second answer is to come in if there might be a dental problem. If you or your child's doctor thinks there could be something wrong in your child's mouth, schedule an appointment, so we can begin early treatment if necessary.
Children’s dentistry is essential. A healthy mouth helps with nutrition and the proper development of the body. Maintaining good oral habits decreases the amount of decay in your child's teeth. It allows us to monitor the development of the bite, so we can refer you to an orthodontist if needed. Once most of the baby teeth have erupted, we recommend coming in for a professional cleaning and exam every six months.
What Happens During a Pediatric Dentist Appointment?
During a child's dentist appointment, you can expect the following things to happen:
- Professional teeth cleaning. One of our friendly hygienists will clean your child's teeth, making sure to be extra gentle as they remove plaque and tartar. All unfamiliar dental tools will be explained to your child to help them understand what is going on inside their mouth.
- X-rays and exam. We will take dental x-rays, and the dentist will check for problems on the x-rays and inside your child's mouth. We look for the same things we look for in adults, plus we check for proper development of the teeth and the face.
- Treatment planning. If any issues need to be addressed, we will thoroughly discuss treatment options with the parent.
- Additional treatments. We may recommend other treatments, such as dental sealants or fluoride, as ways to prevent tooth decay and better protect your child's teeth.
- Referral. We have the resources and experience to handle most of your child's dental care at our office. Still, if something requires attention outside of our expertise, we will refer you to a specialist, such as an orthodontist or a specialized pediatric dentist.
How Can You Prepare Your Child to See the Dentist?
One of the best ways to prepare your child is to start taking them to the dentist early. If they grow up comfortable in the dentist's office, they will be less likely to be afraid when it's their turn to sit in the dentist's chair. Remain positive and calm when talking about the dentist, and let your child know that our staff is excited to see them. We always want to do what is best for them.
Pediatric Dentistry Cost
If you have a family dental insurance plan, it could cover all or part of your child's dental costs. Please contact our office for specific pricing questions.
Why Choose Swang Dental Care to Handle Your Pediatric Dental Needs?
First and foremost, we love children, and your child's best interests are at the heart of our children's dental services. Our caring staff understands how to communicate well with children and their parents. We do an excellent job introducing and reinforcing good dental habits for a lifetime of healthy teeth. We work gently and carefully when it comes to dental work, handling all tasks with little to no pain.
Does your child need a dental appointment? Give us a call or contact us online. We're happy to find a time that works for you.